BIGBANG's Seungri Resigns As Director Of Burning Sun; Club Issues Response To Assault Scandal
BIGBANG member Seungri now has little connection with the controversial club in Gangnam, Seoul that has been recently involved in an assault scandal. Reports indicate that the K-pop idol has already resigned as director of Burning Sun since last week. Meanwhile, the club has issued an official statement addressing the controversy and apologized for the violence that happened at the club.
Seungri's name has been dragged in the assault scandal at Burning Club since it was previously publicized that the business is owned by the singer. Seungri's label, YG Entertainment, has yet to issue a statement about the incident but a representative from Burning Sun clarified that Seungri is not the owner of the bar. The rep admitted that Seungri manages the club but he is not the club owner.
"Everyone thinks that Seungri is the CEO. It's true that Seungri participated in the management of the club, but he's not actually the club's owner," the representative from Burning Sun said (via Soompi).
The assault incident at the Burning Sun actually happened in the early morning of November 24, 2018. It was first reported by MBC's News Desk on Monday when a man shared a CCTV footage of the incident. Apparently, Seungri resigned as the in-house director of Burning Sun about four days before the MBC report.
The BIGBANG's singer has been further dragged into the case after rumors emerged that Seungri is at the club at the time of the incident. The speculations started when a photo of Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon and Seungri at Burning Sun was shared online. The photo was taken after Hyoyeon performed for an event at the club.
Apparently, Hyoyeon was scheduled to perform at the event at 12:30 a.m. on November 24. Burning Club has yet to address the rumor on whether or not Seungri was indeed at the club when the assault incident happened.
Meanwhile, the club has issued an apology to the public about the recent controversy surrounding the business establishment. Burning Club has been receiving intense backlash from netizens after the victim, Mr. Kim, revealed that he was beaten by the club's security guards when he tried to help a woman who was being sexually harassed at the club. Moreover, the police officers who arrived at the scene also arrested and assaulted him.
In a statement signed by Burning Sun CEOs Lee Sung Hyun and Lee Moon Ho, they said the member of their staff who was involved in the incident has been dismissed. The company vowed to do its best to prevent such incident to happen again by educating its employees and creating safety and security guidelines for them. The club officials also promised to fully cooperate in the investigation process.
The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency recently announced that they are conducting an investigation into Burning Sun. Additionally, a special investigative team has been created to look into the allegations of drugs and assault at the club.